Monday, December 5, 2011

THE DANCE


One of the most enjoyable activities I have ever done is dancing.  As a child, I danced in front of the big “picture” Window in the living room of our new house (built in 1950.)  Later, I danced wherever I could, mostly by myself, but sometimes with a partner.  I love to dance!  There is something extremely joyful in dancing.  And it is great exercise as well.

It was not until the fall of 2010 that I discovered the fact that my life with God has been a dance.  That brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart. And it has put new excitement in my step.

As I look back, I can see that the day Christ introduced Himself to me (at age 8,) He also asked me to dance.  I started with skipping and hopping, trying to share Him with my friends the only way I knew:  Telling them how happy I was, knowing that Jesus loved me.

But soon I was not able to attend church and our dance became a slow dance as I longed to learn more about Him and find a place to go to church.  He always kept in touch and kept me desiring a closer walk with Him.  He allowed some mistakes in my life while protecting me from making other mistakes that would have affected me in even worse ways down the line.

In the summer of 1961, He finally gave me a church home and Christian friends and guidance.  Our dance picked up to a “Swing” or “Jitterbug” as it was called then, where I kept stepping back into the life I was already leading while He kept pulling to Him and His way.  Then He demanded a decision:  “Who will you follow: him (my boyfriend) or Me?  He was very clear about the end result of the two choices.  He gave me wisdom to choose Him. 

Off we whirled in a very exciting Fox Trot, which would have been delightful had I not decided to lead.  Then it became more and more like a bullfight type dance (the Paso Doble) with pulling and pushing and stubborn refusal woven with periods of gentle closeness and successful partnering in the dance.  As the anger in my life built, the push in me to be in control grew stronger and stronger.

Then I changed partners.  And I danced with him until he died.  By then my life was in ruins.  I had won the battle and lost who I was or even was supposed to be.

But God was not finished with me.  He came asking for one more dance.  In fact, He pretty much demanded it.  “It’s time,” He said.  “Stop this reckless rebellion and listen to me!”

We started slow, with a Tango, but one where I was willing to learn to follow.  After about 2½ years, we were able to fall into a beautiful Waltz which now goes on and on. 

This morning I was studying Genesis 29:1-14, which starts with the words “Jacob continued on his journey” after having met God face to face.  It is said that this is translated, also, as “Jacob picked up his feet and went, briskly and cheerfully.”  Meeting God face to face can change our lives forever, and it does, if we let it.  Dancing with God, following His lead day by day, is truly the joyful way to go in life.  Hallelujah!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment