Sunday, November 20, 2011

Me, Me, Me


Please let me share a little more about myself before we go on.  I want you to know that the purpose of this blog is not to teach, preach or even bring conviction on anyone.  The purpose is to share with friends the many quizzical things that come up in my mind when I settle in to think through some of the lessons I, myself, confront.  I enjoy these patterns of thinking and I hope that you will, too.

The story of my life is pretty boring.  Even I fall asleep thinking about it.  Therefore, I will share pieces of it in small quantities as we go along.

There are two main things you all need to know:  One is that I am a Christian and I have been since I was eight years old.  Jesus Christ is everything to me, and my heart’s greatest desire is to bring Him the Glory He deserves and plans for me to bring Him.  I love Him because He first loved me and He continually reminds me that I am forever His.

The second thing you should know is that I spent 61 years growing severely dependent on a slave master called Anger.  Anger is a true slave master and a very demanding ruler.  I was addicted.  I was driven in all that I did, to express myself in anger.  By the time God sat me down and pulled the plug on that life style, I had destroyed people, jobs, my health and every relationship I ever had with anyone.

My life has not been a shinning example of what He really means to me, but He is graciously giving me the opportunity to share with you His Grace working in me, changing me, while drawing me closer and closer to Him.

In the last 6 years, God has “grown me” into peace through lesson after lesson about Him and I and what a fabulous relationship we actually have.  I am not a person who never, ever gets angry.  I can set myself up for anger so easily that it is frightening. 

But I have discovered that I prefer peace. 

And peace is what God offers us on a daily basis.  My hope is that these notes might help you to discover the self-sabotage that keeps peace at bay in our lives and perhaps will help you to find the hope that is God.  God is Love and Love has come… for us all.

In Galatians 5:22-23, Paul tells us that the “fruit of the Spirit is…” and it includes Peace.  He will bring peace into our lives as He grows us to be more like Him.

So I will close for now with, “Choose Peace…”

No comments:

Post a Comment