Thursday, January 9, 2014

REMEMBERING THAT JESUS PRAYED FOR US





This morning I concluded that the troubling thing for me when reading scripture is that I cannot read it all, all at once, every day. It is so full of Joy and Wisdom that I find myself overwhelmed, at times, with how much there is to learn and understand and keep in our hearts and minds while we wander this earth as sojourners; nomads seeming to have no direction, yet walking straight to God.

When studying Psalm 21:2, I was sent to John 17 where I was overwhelmed with the deep, deep love of Christ for His Father and for us: He prayed for us. He prayed for our faith and our belief to come; that our belief would come and remain to make a difference in our lives and in the lives of others. He had already informed the Apostles (and us) that trouble was coming: unrelenting trouble. (16:17-33)

“You believe at last,” Jesus answered.


He had spoken to them deeply about His “God-ness” and they had finally understood and declared their belief in Him. It was a miraculous event. And Jesus “looked toward heaven and prayed.”

He prayed for Himself; He prayed for the Apostles, who were being given a great responsibility; and He prayed for us. (vs 20) He covered it all and He called on the Father to keep His promises: those made to Jesus, Himself, and those made to the ones who did and would believe in Him.

And then I thought: This chapter should be read every—every what: Every year? Every month? Every day? What a strengthening it would be to remind ourselves that Jesus prayed for us before He returned into heaven; even before He was crucified. And He prayed with absolute assurance that giving us into the Father’s hands was the greatest thing He could do for us; calling on the Father to keep the promises He had made to Jesus about us. Wow! What else do we need than that?

I will follow, I will follow you.  I will follow, I will follow you.

Lord, will You be my vision,
Lord, will You be my guide
Be my hope, be my light and the way
And I'll look not for riches, nor praises on earth
Only You'll be the first of my heart

For this is what I'm glad to do
It's time to live a life of love that pleases You
And I will give my all to You
Surrender everything I have and follow You
I'll follow You

May the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart
Bless Your name, bless Your name, Jesus
And the deeds of the day and the truth in my ways
Speak of You, speak of You, Jesus

I'll follow You

I will follow, I will follow you. I will follow, I will follow you.

(Tim Hughes, May the Words of My Mouth)


So you might notice that the words are out of order, but that is deliberate: my thoughts today are of the sufficiency of God to meet our needs and our need to let Him lead us through all facets of our lives: And that we can have a life abundant and full of Joy and happiness if we do. That is what Christ prayed for: That we will know the Joy and Peace He offers us, no matter what is happening to us or around us. And that will bring about the words of our mouth being pleasing unto Him.

May we all declare today: I will follow, I will follow you. I will follow, I will follow you. And we cannot thank you enough Lord Jesus for giving us to the Father for safe keeping, forever and for always. In Jesus name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment